FCS 6901 Thesis Development Seminar: Proquest Databases
Proquest Databases is a collection of databases to which the library subscribes. Searching through this portal allows you to search several databases at once.
1. Go to the library homepage at lib.utah.edu and click on the green box that says Off Campus Login in the upper right corner. Sign in with your uNID and password
2. Click on the Research Databases tab above the search box.
3. Click on the letter P
4. Scroll down to Proquest Databases and click on the red title link
5. When you get to the search screen, click on the link that says Databases (28)
6. Uncheck the box next to "Select All" to deselect all of the check marks next to the databases.
7. Now, go through and choose the databases you would like to search. I would suggest selecting ebrary books (both options), Ethnic NewsWatch, GenderWatch. Philosopher's Index, ProQuest Newsstand, and Sociological Abstracts. Then, click on the yellow Use Selected Databases at the bottom of the page.
8.Once you are on the search page, click on the Advanced Search link and then choose the Advanced Search option from the dropdown menu
9. Enter your search terms in the search box. Select the options to limit your results to items published in the last ten years. When you are ready, click the green Search button
10. On your search results page, you will see a variety of articles. If you get too few results, revise your search terms. If you get too many results, use the facets on the left side of the screen to narrow down. For instance, you can narrow down to scholarly journals. You can also narrow down by looking at the terms under Subject. If you click on a Subject, you will narrow down to results with that subject listed as a primary topic of that article
11. To learn more about each article, click on the title. You will see information about the article, such as the abstract. You can also see a link to download the PDF, if available, on the right side of the screen.
12. To save an item to your EndNote account, start by clicking the link labelled More on the right side of the screen.
13. Then, choose the Export/Save option and choose
14.In the window that opens, choose whether you want to download the citation and abstract or other information under the Content dropdown and then click on the gray Continue button.
16. Save the file that is generated somewhere where you can easily find it.
17. Log in to your EndNote Basic Account. Click on the gray Collect tab and choose Import References.
16. Choose the file that you just saved. Make sure that you choose Proquest under the Import Filter option. Choose which group you want to import into under the To: dropdown, and then click Import.
17. If the download is successful, the screen will tell you that one item has been imported into your group.
295 S 1500 E Salt Lake City, UT