Welcome to the NVivo Workshop Guide
This guide will contain resources for using the qualitative research software, NVivo for data analysis. This software can help you organize, code and manage your data as well as help with the analysis through visualization, memoing and reporting features, but the hard work of sorting through data still rest on the shoulders of the researcher(s). The bigger your research project, the more you will benefit from the NVivo environment. This is a complex software and therefore workshops will be divided into basic and advanced sessions.
By the end of the Basic or Introductory Workshop you will have:
- Explored the potential of NVivo by browsing the sample project
- Utilized the NVivo workspace to import, organize and classify sources
- Begun the process of coding and developing nodes
- Reviewed exampls of visual ways to present your data and nodes
NVivo Tutorials and Resources
The vendor QSR International that has developed NVivo, has some excellent resources for you as you learn NVivo. We have NVivo 9, so select that as an option from the pull down box to see the list of resources. They have what they call what they call Resource Articles (short articles about specific features), animated tutorials (on a variety of features and processes), a knowledge base, NVivo Education Page of Resources and a getting started manual for NVivo 10 for download. Free webinars on NVivo.
Here are a few that I found helpful:
- Link to the Strategies for Qualitative Research Wiki Page
- What is qualitative research?
- NVivo 10 Feature List
- List of NVivo Online Tutorials
- Importing datasets
Transcription Software (outside of NVivo)