Business Research: Starting, Brainstorming & Idea Gathering
Rule 1: Pick something that interests you
Rule 2: Help (in-person, chat, email) is available at the Marriott Library
The Wall Street Journal is available online through Factiva:
- Factiva This link opens in a new windowThis database provides access to licensed content from Dow Jones journalists, media outlets, trade and consumer publications and business Web sites. Factiva also contains in-depth company, executive and industry profiles, expert analysis, market data and other reports.
The past month of The Wall Street Journal is available in print in Periodicals on Level 2 of the Marriott Library.
Harvard Business Review is in full-text from 1922 through Online Journals and Business Source Premier:
- Business Source Premier This link opens in a new windowIncludes the full text for more than 2,300 journals. Full-text results are provided back to 1886, and searchable cited references back to 1998. This database covers many business disciplines, including marketing, management, MIS, POM, accounting, finance and economics. Additional full-text, non-journal content includes market research reports, industry reports, country reports, company profiles and SWOT analyses.
The past month is available in Periodicals on Level 2 of the Marriott Library.
Forbes covers business, investing, technology and leadership. Forbes is available in print on Level 2 of the Marriott Library in periodicals & online through Online Journals and Business Source Premier (see link above).
Four Great Starting Points for Business Research: Industry, Market & Company
- Business Source Premier This link opens in a new windowBusiness Source Premier provides full-text of 2300+ magazines and journals. For SWOT Analysis, type in a company name and limit "Source Types" in left column to "SWOT Analyses". Limit/expand search by industry profile, country reports, or scholarly (peer-reviewed), etc.
- Factiva This link opens in a new windowUse the top row to search, look at news pages, and do research on companies and markets. After searching use the left-hand column to refine search by Companies, Industries, Executives, Regions, & Subjects such as new products, management moves, mergers/acquisitions/takeovers and more.
- IBISWorld This link opens in a new windowIBISWorld Industry Research offers a variety of industry reports covering risk, industry summaries, market research and conditions, supply chain, & competition data. Click on the "PDF" button in the top left to download full reports.
- Markets and Markets This link opens in a new windowNOTE:Access limited to University of Utah students, faculty, and staff. MarketsandMarkets provides quantified B2B research on 30,000 high growth emerging opportunities/threats which will impact 70% to 80% of worldwide companies' revenues. Currently servicing 7500 customers worldwide including 80% of globalFortune 1000 companies as clients. Almost 75,000 top officers across eight industries worldwide approach MarketsandMarkets for their painpoints around revenues decisions. Our 850 fulltime analyst and SMEs at MarketsandMarkets are tracking global high growth markets following the "Growth Engagement Model - GEM". The GEM aims at proactive collaboration with the clients to identify new opportunities, identify most important customers, write "Attack, avoid and defend" strategies, identify sources of incremental revenues for both the company and its competitors. MarketsandMarkets now coming up with 1,500 MicroQuadrants (Positioning top players across leaders, emerging companies, innovators, strategic players) annually in high growth emerging segments. MarketsandMarkets™ is determined to benefit more than 10,000 companies this year for their revenue planning and help them take their innovations/disruptions early to the market by providing them research ahead of the curve. MarketsandMarkets's flagship competitive intelligence and market research platform, "Knowledgestore" connects over 200,000 markets and entire value chains for deeper understanding of the unmet insights along with market sizing and forecasts of niche markets.
Other Useful Business Research Tools Provided by the Marriott Library:
- Mergent Intellect This link opens in a new windowMergent Intellect (includes Hoovers) provides information on key business ratios and demographics, as well as information about public, private, and international companies including industry, financial, and competitors. Click "First Research" for extensive industry research. Use "Residential Search" to find contact information for over 210 million US consumers. "Demographics" provides census data by zip code and other information.
- Pitchbook This link opens in a new windowPitchBook provides Morningstar analyst reports, valuation for new, small, and startup businesses. Includes information about similar companies, financials, and news.
- Value Line This link opens in a new windowValue Line covers stocks, mutual funds, and options. For third party evaluation try Value Line and NetAdvantage's stock reports.
More useful business databases:
- Nexis Uni This link opens in a new window
- CheckPoint Edge This link opens in a new window
- SBRnet: Sports Business Research This link opens in a new window
All of these resources are available at the Marriott Library. If you have questions or need help:
- BCC Research This link opens in a new windowAcademic institutions around the globe subscribe to BCC Research to utilize the vast library of market research reports that aid students, professors, and technology transfer professionals in conducting research projects. Students appreciate the depth and specificity of BCC Research reports, finding it easy to uncover all of the data they need, from growth trends and market opportunities to geographic breakdowns and company profiles.
- PrivCo This link opens in a new windowNOTE: This database requires (free) user registration before use.
PrivCo is a source for business and financial data on non-publicly traded corporations, including family owned, private equity owned, venture backed, and international unlisted companies.
Office Hours by appointment via Zoom. Please email to make an appointment
J. Willard Marriott Library
295 S 1500 E Salt Lake City, UT
295 S 1500 E Salt Lake City, UT
Subjects: Accessibility, Accounting, Bibliometrics, Business, Communication Sciences & Disorders, Entrepreneurship & Strategy, Gender Studies, Grants, Impact Factor, Information Systems, LEAP, Library Staff Guides, Management, Marketing, MBA Resources, Operations & Information Systems, Social Sciences, Test Preparation
Need help? Contact us
Schedule a Research Consultation
More Subject Guides