Social Science Data Resources: International Data
This research guide identifies electronic datasets to support statistical research in the social sciences.
Remember to check the key resources:
- ICPSRAccess to thousands of social science datasets for research and instruction. A first place to start in looking for social science data for secondary analysis.
- U.S. Census Bureau"Serve(s) as the leading source of quality data about the nation's people and economy." Includes the Decennial Census, the American Community Survey the Economic Census, and more.
- U. S. Government data and statistical resourcesFeatures an alphabetical list of data resources from government agencies. Includes all topics from health, education, economic, crime, child and family, immigration, genealogy, labor and many more.
- Cross-National Equivalent File, 1970-2008contains population panel data from Australia, Canada, Germany, Great Britain, Korea, Switzerland and the United States. Each of these countries undertakes a longitudinal household economic survey. The data are made equivalent, providing a reference dataset which cross-links each of the individual studies and allowing cross-national comparisons. The CNEF is managed by the Department of Policy Analysis and Management at Cornell University. Data Services must be contacted to use the data.
- European Social SurveyThe European Social Survey (the ESS) is a biennial multi-country survey covering over 30 nations. The project is funded jointly by the European Commission, the European Science Foundation and academic funding bodies in each participating country, and is designed and carried out to exceptionally high standards. The project is directed by a Central Co-ordinating Team led by Roger Jowell at the Centre for Comparative Social Surveys, City University, London.
- International Information Resources LibGuideThis LibGuide provides access to NUL resources as well as online resources for statistical data on economics, education, health, environment, immigration and a host of other topics.
- International Social Survey ProgrammeThe ISSP is a continuing annual programme of cross-national collaboration on surveys covering topics important for social science research
- LIS: Cross National Data Center in Luxembourg"LIS is a data archive and research center dedicated to cross-national analysis. Our mission is to enable, facilitate, promote, and conduct cross-national comparative research on socio-economic outcomes and on the institutional factors that shape those outcomes."
- OECD.Stat (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development)OECD.Stat includes data and metadata for OECD countries and selected non-member economies.
- Statistical Agencies (by Country)From the U.S. Census Bureau
- The World Bank Data CatalogThe World Bank's Open Data initiative is intended to provide all users with access to World Bank data. The data catalog is a listing of available World Bank datasets, including databases, pre-formatted tables and reports.