: :Finding books in Persian at the Marriott Library: :
Persian-language resources in the circulating collections
The general circulating collections of the Marriott Library include over 7200 titles in Farsi/Persian:
- plays, essays, poems, short stories, novels
- literary history, biography and criticism
- history and culture of the Farsi-speaking world
- many other subject areas
- children's books
Once you have done a search in our catalog, one of the facets on the right side of the screen is Language. If you click on Persian, most of your results should be in that language, but titles translated from Persian (into English, for example) will also show up. Please feel free to contact me if you aren't able to find what you're looking for.
Call numbers for literature, history and culture
Browsing the shelves of a library can lead to serendipitous discoveries. But even with browsing it can help to have an idea of where particular subjects are located. The following lists will give the browsers among you a place to start.
- Books on Farsi or Persian as a language (philology, grammar, syntax, dictionaries) will be found in compact shelving on the east side of Level 1, between the call numbers PK6201 and PK6399, with most Persian-English or Farsi-English dictionaries at PK6379.
- Farsi/Persian literature will be found between the call numbers PK6400 and PK6979.5, as follows:
(You can explore this in much greater detail at https://www.loc.gov/aba/publications/FreeLCC/PJ-PK-text.pdf starting at page 279.)
- The corresponding call numbers for the history and culture of Farsi-speaking areas are found in the southeast corner of Level 2:
To find children's books in Persian in our catalog:
- do a subject search (from the Advanced Search page) for "Persian language materials" -- be sure to include the quotation marks
- narrow your results using the Collection facet, on the right side of the screen when looking at search results in the catalog: clicking on Juvenile Collection (or Marriott Reserve) will restrict the display to items in that collection