Diversity and Inclusion
Need help? Contact us
Schedule a Research Consultation
More Subject Guides
- Unconscious Bias ResourcesUCSF Office of Diversity and Outreach Unconscious Bias Training site. Select menu options on left side of screen to access additional resources.
- Bias-busting app from USC team excels at Facebook Global HackathonKnown as Cue, the app uses virtual reality to eliminate gender bias in the workplace.
- Project ImplicitHarvard University’s collaboration between researchers who are interested in implicit social cognition. The goal is to educate about hidden biases and to provide a “virtual laboratory” for collecting data.
- UCLA "Know" - Implicit BiasVideos, guides and reports on implicit bias.
Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education
The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education is a regional organization created by the Western Regional Education Compact and adopted in the 1950s by Western states. WICHE was created to facilitate resource sharing among the higher education systems of the West.
- Knocking at the College DoorSite contains WICHE reports and data on projections of high school graduates by state and race/ethnicity through the class of 2032.
Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U)
- Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U)1) Hover mouse over the red "Publications & Research" tab to open link options to various periodicals. 2) Click on the blue "Resource Hubs" tab located vertically along left side to open links to many other resources.
- AAC&U Diversity, Equity, & Inclusive Excellence Resource HubIncludes campus models, case studies, and tools and resources.
Association of American Universities (AAU)
- AAAS/AAU Handbook on Law and DiversityThe American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and the Association of American Universities (AAU) collaborated on a handbook that outlines legally sustainable ways to expand diversity on college and university campuses, especially in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. April 28, 2010.
Implementing Diversity and Inclusion Across a College Campus
This page contains links to background resources for learning more about diversity and inclusion, and obtaining a high level overview on best practices to implement diversity, equity, and inclusion across a university campus.
- Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT)A comprehensive, national and community-based process to plan for and bring about transformational and sustainable change, and to address the historic and contemporary effects of racism. Includes implementation guide and grants.
- Committing to Equity and Inclusive Excellence: A Campus Guide for Self-Study and PlanningDesigned to help campus leaders and practitioners focus on the success of students who come from groups who traditionally have been underserved in higher education.
- UCLA "Know" Clearinghouse“Know” is UCLA's Equity, Diversity and Inclusion's clearinghouse for helpful facts and resources on various topics, including inclusion, bias and more.
Books, Journals, and Magazines
- Diversity's Promise for Higher Education byCall Number: Level 2: General Collection LC3727 .S65 2015ISBN: 9781421417349Publication Date: 2015-04-17
- Racial and Ethnic Diversity in Higher Education byCall Number: Level 2: General Collection LC3731 .R253 2011ISBN: 9780558848576Publication Date: 2010-10-21Fifty-Four readings in this 3rd edition collectively show how race has influenced and continues to affect all aspects of American higher education. This volume offers a comprehensive selection of seminal and contemporary publications that are situated across various postsecondary contexts. It is organized around six focal areas of study in the field of higher education: (1) History; (2) Students; (3) Faculty; (4) Curriculum, Teaching and Learning; (5) Organizations, Leadership and Governance; and (6) Policy, Finance and Economics. Also included is a seventh section devoted entirely to critical race perspectives on higher education.
- Journal of Insight Into DiversityArticles on current trends and relevant news; interviews with innovators, thought leaders, and experts; explorations of best practices; and profiles of successful programs and initiatives.
- Journal of Diversity in Higher EducationA quarterly publication of the National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education. Disseminates research findings, theory and promising practices which guide the efforts of institutions of higher education in the pursuit of inclusive excellence.
Faculty Recruitment & Retention
- How to Plug the Leaky Bucket: Retention Strategies for Maintaining a Diverse WorkforceStrategies and techniques to retain a diverse workforce.
- An institutional approach to recruiting and retaining a diverse facultyOn Campus with Women. 41.1 (Spring 2012), Association of American Colleges & Universities.
- Diversity in Academe: Who Sets a College's Diversity Agenda?Chronicle 2016 - Special Report. True diversity remains a struggle for many colleges. This special report looks at who actually sets a college’s diversity agenda, and what makes that agenda flourish or flop.
- The Truly Diverse Faculty byCall Number: Level 2: General Collection LB2332.6 .T78 2014ISBN: 9781137456052Publication Date: 2014-10-23Many universities in the twenty-first century claim "diversity" as a core value, but fall short in transforming institutional practices. The disparity between what universities claim as a value and what they accomplish in reality creates a labyrinth of barriers, challenges, and extra burdens that junior faculty of color must negotiate, often at great personal and professional risk. This volume addresses these obstacles, first by foregrounding essays written by junior faculty of color and second by pairing each essay with commentary by senior university administrators. These two university constituencies play crucial roles in diversifying the academy, but rarely have an opportunity to candidly engage in dialogue. This volume harnesses the untapped collective knowledge in these constituencies, revealing how diversity claims, when poorly conceived and under-actualized, impact the university as an intellectual work environment and as a social filter for innovative ideas.
- Chronicle Data: SalariesSearch and explore faculty, staff, and adjunct salary data at thousands of colleges.
- Gender, Race, and Ethnicity of College Administrators, Faculty, and Staff, Fall 2015All U.S. institutions, 4-year, 2-year
American Council on Education (ACE) / Higher Education Today
- Q&A: Race and Diversity: Student Demands and Presidential Imperatives (2016)National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education President Benjamin D. Reese Jr. draws insights and early lessons from a season of campus activism and offers recommendations for institutions looking to maximize their ability to support their students.
- Espinosa, LL. Turk, JM. & Taylor, M. (2017). Pulling Back the Curtain: Enrollment and Outcomes at Minority Serving InstitutionsThis report’s analysis, utilizes data from the National Student Clearinghouse to examine Minority Serving Institution's (MSI) student enrollment and outcomes, including completion rates for students who start higher education at an MSI.
Higher Education Today resources. HET is a blog by the American Council on Education. Staffed by ACE’s Center for Policy Research & Strategy and Government Relations, and assess the critical challenges facing colleges and universities.
- Shapiro, I. Training for Racial Equity and Inclusion: A guide to selected programs (2002)Compares programs based on underlying theories of change, training methods, service, and outcomes.
Also see pp. 113-114 "Questions Guiding the Selection of a Training Program"
- University of Utah Diversity Training Certificate ProgramAre you interested in learning about issues around diversity? Attend our training modules to learn more about issues of diversity in a safe environment, which will be essential to better serve our ever changing student population. Please note, the modules must be taken sequentially.
Sign up is at bottom of page.
- National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education (NADOHE)Webinars on a variety of diversity topics.
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation Training ResourcesThese guides and workshops can provide structure for dialogue on issues of race, activities focused on helping achieve racial equity and trainings designed to raise awareness and inspire action. Using the filters to view based on areas of focus, related issues and/or types.
Language Style Guides
- The Diversity Style GuideThis media language guide includes terms and phrases related to race/ethnicity; religion; sexual orientation; gender identity; age and generation; drugs and alcohol; and physical, mental and cognitive disabilities.
- Conscious Style GuideIncludes language guides for abilty+disability, age, appearance, empowerment, ethnicity, gender, health, and more.
Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE)
- Review of Higher EducationKeeps scholars, academic leaders, and public policymakers abreast of critical issues facing higher education today. Browse issues or search for diversity and inclusion for specific articles.
- Higher Education ReportLinks the best of higher education research and practice to inform decision making and policy.
American College Personnel Association (ACPA)
- Journals in the Field of Higher Education: A Racial Analysis Too often, scholarship regarding the concept of race in the United States is absent from top-tier journals across fields. Yet, at some institutions, faculty, including scholars who explore race, are required to publish in top-tier journals to secure tenure. This article highlights the extent to which journals—of all tiers—within the field of higher education publish articles explicitly highlighting race in the study.