Western Waters Digital Library: Search Tips
The Western Waters Digital Library advanced search page allows you to search for specific subjects and limit your search by type (text, image, video, audio, and EAD).
- Search terms are case-insensitive
- Common words are ignored
- By default only entries containing all terms in the query are returned (i.e., AND is implied)
- Combine multiple words with OR to find articles containing either term; e.g., river OR creek
- Use parentheses to create more complex queries; e.g., irrigation and (water or runoff) not low flow
- Search for an exact phrase by putting it in quotes; e.g., "Central Arizona Project"
- Exclude a word by prefixing it with - or NOT; e.g. dam -Hoover or dam NOT Hoover
- Use * in a term as a wildcard to match any sequence of characters; e.g., irrigat* would match documents containing "irrigation" or "irrigate"
Note: After selecting a search result item (thumbnail) you will leave the WWDL site and go directly to the institutional site where the item is held. In order to return to the WWDL site, it will be necessary to utilize the "Back" function on the browser.