Newspapers as a research tool
Why use newspapers?
Newspapers have unique qualities that make them a great source to find:
- In-depth coverage of a particular country, state or city
- Reporting on activities of state and local government
- Eyewitness accounts of events
- Editorial analysis of news and events
- Up-to-date coverage of breaking news
- Obituaries and other information of interest to genealogists
Why use newspaper databases?
Most newspapers today have a website with current news, and most make it possible to search their archives of older issues. However, the Marriott Library subscribes to a number of newspaper databases that offer advantages over searching newspapers directly on the Web:
- Search more than one newspaper at the same time
- Powerful keyword search engines
- Deep historic news archives
- Access to content that costs money on the Web
- Find newspapers from a specific region or country
Here is a list of Marriott Library newspaper databases.
Why use newspaper websites?
Be aware that newspaper websites sometimes have content that is not in subscription databases:
- Breaking news stories
- Extra content such as blogs, info-graphics, videos, etc.
- Access to newspapers that aren't in Marriott Library databases
Some articles about newspapers - their role, their importance, and their current situation
Fun with newspapers
Research and User Services
J. Willard Marriott Library
The University of Utah
295 S 1500 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0860