Geospatial Data and Resources
An introductional guide to the various types of geospatial data and avaiable resources for use within your projects.
Questions to consider when choosing geospatial data
With all of the data available, there are a few questions to consider when researching & acquiring geospatial data:
- Where is the data coming from?
- Does the data cover the geographic extent I need?
- Is the information current?
- Is the scale of the data consistent with my other data?
- How accurate is the data?
- What types of attribute data are available with the data?
- How large are the data files?
- Is the data properly formatted to open using geospatial software?
- Is the data consistently projected?
- What metadata accompanies the data?
- The major question: Are there any use restrictions for using or accessing the data?