Representation Matters! New Books in the Collection from Publishers of Color, by Authors of Color, for Everyone to Read
This guide highlights books in the J. Willard Marriott Library from publishers of color.
- Start Here
- PublishersToggle Dropdown
- Africa World Press / Red Sea Press
- Amistad (HarperCollins Imprint)
- Arte Público Press
- Aurelia Leo
- Bamboo Ridge Press
- Black Classic Press
- BlackGold Publishing
- Cassava Press
- Diné College Press
- FlowerSong Press
- Interlink Publishing
- Iron Circus Comics
- Kamehameha Publishing
- Kaya Press
- Mazda Publishers
- Noemi Press
- RedBone Press
- AALBC (African American Literature Book Club)"AALBC.com is the oldest, largest, and most frequently visited web site dedicated to books by, or about, people of African descent. Started in 1997, AALBC.com is a widely recognized source of information about Black authors."
- AALBC List of Black-Owned Publishing CompaniesA non-exhaustive, but a curated list by AALBC of Black-Owned publishing companies and imprints.
- Latinx in Publishing"Latinx in Publishing is a non-profit organization or 501©3 comprised of book professionals (publishers, authors, illustrators, librarians, etc.) committed to supporting and increasing the number of Latinx people that work in publishing, and promoting literature by, for, and about Latinx people." Their Twitter (@LatinxinPub) and Instagram (@latinxpublishing) are great resources as well, and regularly highlight new releases by Authors and Publishers in the Chicanx, Latinx, and Hispanic communities.
- Noname Book Club"An online/irl community dedicated to uplifting POC voices. We do this by highlighting two books each month written by authors of color. In addition to building community with folks across the country we also send our monthly book picks to incarcerated comrades through our Prison Program."
- Tribal College Journal - Best Native Books List (2020)The Tribal College Journal is a great resource. Here I've linked their "Best Native Books" article for 2020, but the journal itself is also something worth subscribing too.
- Black-Owned Bookstores & Publishers - Article by Cardinal Rule PressThis list by Cardinal Rule Press has a great list of Black-Owned children's publishers as well as a few general audience publishers.
- Well Read Black GirlGlory Edim is doing some amazing work. "Well-Read Black Girl (WRBG) is a book club turned literary festival based in Brooklyn, NY. WRBG provides a vital space for Black women readers and writers to connect and grow in conversation."
You can also follow them on Instagram (@wellreadblackgirl)and Twitter (@wellreadblkgirl)
- Diverse Spines InstagramDiverse Spines regularly highlights books by Black Women and WOC authors.
- Last Updated: Oct 6, 2021 11:50 AM
- URL: https://campusguides.lib.utah.edu/representationmatters
- Print Page