Dance Research Design: Media Resources
Image & Video Databases
Videos and images can provide information and a visual element to your paper/presentation.
- Dance Online: Dance in Video: Volumes I & II This link opens in a new windowFeatures streaming videos of 20th century dance performances and documentaries about choreographers and dance training. Includes ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, experimental, and improvisational dance.
- OnTheBoards.TVProvides streamed access to 50+ dance, music, theater, and experimental/installation art performances, captured on multiple HD cameras by the Seattle-based performing arts venue On The Boards.
- Medici.TV This link opens in a new windowStreaming media of over 1,200 classical music and dance programs. Also frequently features live broadcasts from around the world.
- Films on DemandThis database provides access to a large collection of educational and documentary films. This includes broadcasts of dance performances and films featuring dance companies and individual performers/choreographers.
- Naxos Video LibraryA performing arts video library with over 1,300 operas, ballets, documentaries, live concerts, and musical tours of historic places. It includes the Naxos DVD label, Opus Arte, Arthaus, Dacapo, and EuroArts, among others, and is continuously updated.
- SwankThis database provides streaming access to feature and documentary films from Hollywood studios. Films are specifically selected to support curricular needs.
- Anatomy.TV This link opens in a new windowAnatomy.TV is a suite of 3D interactive models of human anatomy. Controls allow users to zoom, rotate and peel away layers from the models. MRIs, X-rays, live-action movies and animations are also included to supplement the computer-generated models.
- Theatre in Video IProvides streaming videos of performances by theatre companies around the world. Also features documentaries and interviews, including "The Legacy Project," which features young playwrights, composers, and lyricists interviewing establish ones. Create a user account share playlists and link to clips.
- Theatre in Video IIContains classic and contemporary plays and documentaries, with a focus on contemporary and international productions. Users can view the works of widely studied playwrights and theatre artists from around the globe, including new performances from Stratford Shakespeare Festival, the BBC, Theatre Arts Films (including, Play it Safe and TMW Media Group.
- American History in VideoProvides the largest and richest collection of video available online for the study of American history, with 2,000 hours and more than 5,000 titles on completion. The collection allows students and researchers to analyze historical events, and their presentation over time, through commercial and governmental newsreels, archival footage, public affairs footage, and important documentaries. This release now provides 4,248 titles, equaling approximately 1,031 hours.
- ARTstorProvides curated collections of more than 2 million images of art, architecture, artifacts, and primary documents, including costume and set renderings, playbills, production photos, etc. Time periods range from ancient to modern and geographic locations from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe. (Off-campus? Read "More" information below.)
- The Vogue ArchiveComprises every issue--more than 400,000 pages--in high resolution color from 1892 to today. Search by designer, photographer, model, author, advertiser, label/brand, article of clothing, fabric/material, color, and more!
Sound & Music
Dance Video: DVD and VHS
- George Balanchine Foundation Video ArchivesThe J. Willard Marriott Library is an official repository for the George Balanchine Foundation Video Archives. For a complete index of the archival DVDs contents, visit the George Balanchine Foundation website.
Marriott Library Digital Collections
Marriott Library hosts more than 100 oustanding digital collections, containing 1+ million digital photographs, newspapers, maps, books, audio recordings, and other items. The following may be of particular interest for Architecture research.
- Media Streaming @ Marriott LibraryWatch selected documentary & educational films owned by Marriott Library.
- Mountain West Digital LibraryThe Mountain West Digital Library is an aggregation of digital collections about the Mountain West region of the United States. This portal provides free access to more than 270,000 resources in over 300 collections from universities, colleges, public libraries, museums, archives, and historical societies in Utah, Nevada, Idaho, and Hawaii.
- USpace / Institutional RepositoryA collaborative project between the libraries at the University of Utah and the University community. Its goal is to collect and archive the intellectual capital of the institution and make those scholarly materials freely available on the Internet. The repository includes three distinct collections: Theses and Dissertations (written by UofU students), U Scholar Works (peer-reviewed articles), and Electronic University Archives (other materials produced by and about the UofU).
- Utah Digital NewspapersThe Utah Digital Newspapers makes historic Utah newspapers available to the general public over the Internet. We create a database of digital images and searchable text from old newspapers and make it accessible from our website. At this writing, the database holds 750,000 pages from 58 distinct titles, from 1850-1982.