State and Local Government Information : General Resources
Help on seeking government information on the state, county, and city level.
Tips For Searching The Library Catalog For State And Local Info
To search the catalog for information on local government follow the form "Local government State" or "Municipal government City" or "Metropolitan government City" e.g.:
The state, county and city level government websites are good places to find some information, particularly current news.
- State and Local Government on the NetAccess to the websites of thousands of state agencies and city and county governments. Browsable by state and topic
- Utah State ArchivesUtah Department of Administrative Services assists Utah government agencies in the efficient management of their records, to preserve those records of enduring value, and to provide quality access to public information.
- Utah ResourcesA list of resources for the State of Utah compiled by Eccles Health Sciences Library
- Wikipedia -- Local government in UtahThe free encyclopedia
- vote.utah.govUtah voting information
- Map Collections in the Marriott LibraryA guide to the Marriott Library's map collection
- Utah.gov MapsMaps at the state, county, and city level
- University of Texas Library LinksHistorical, census and other U.S. maps organized by state
Below are some helpful databases to use when researching state and local government information.
- American FactFinderThis database is hosted by the United States Census Bureau and provides access to a variety of U.S. Census datasets, including the Decennial Census, American Community Survey, Puerto Rico Community Survey, annual population estimates, and the Economic Census.
- CQ ResearcherThe CQ Researcher publishes reports 44 times a year that offer in-depth single-topic coverage of political and social issues, with regular reports on topics in health, international affairs, education, the environment, technology and the U.S. economy.
- Academic Search PremierA multi-disciplinary database which offers information in many areas of academic study, Academic Search Premier focuses on a range of subjects including biology, chemistry, engineering, physics, psychology, religion/theology, and more.
- LexisNexis AcademicThis database provides full-text documents from over 10,000 news, business, legal, medical, and reference publications. A number of document types are in the collection, including Federal and state cases and statutes, patents, tax materials, company data, newspapers, journals, magazines, and others.
- Google ScholarUsing this link from off-campus will route your session through our proxy server, and thus ensure that links within Google Scholar work with our resources when available.
- Dissertations & Theses: Full TextDissertations & Theses: Full Text provides access to millions of searchable citations to dissertations and theses from around the world, available from 1861 to the present day.
- National Bureau of Economic ResearchThis database provides access to a collection of papers, working papers, and other information from the National Bureau of Economic Research. Approximately 1000 papers are published each year, and are added to the collection as they become available.
- THOMASTHOMAS is operated by the Library of Congress and is the database of the United States Congress
- HeinOnlineHeinOnline is a database of searchable full-text content from four library collections: the Law Journal Library, the Federal Register Library, the Treaties and Agreements Library, and the U.S. Supreme Court Library. Coverage extends from the 18th century to the present, and varies by collection.