Master's of Business Creation
- Staying Aware of Trends in Your Industry
- Finding Company Information
- Finding Industry Information
Need to use a Bloomberg Terminal?
Visit the second floor of the Marriott Library to access our Bloomberg Terminal. Note: This resouce is only available to those affiliated with the University of Utah.
Looking for Analyst Reports?
If you are looking for analysis of public companies and their industries, follow the links in the center pane to Value Line, which provides analysis of both companies and their industries, with a focus on company performance in the stock market. You can also find analyst reports for many public companites in Factiva. Go to Companies/Industries, enter the name or ticker symbol for the company of interest, and search. Then, click on the name of the company and look at the Analysis and Profiles section of the company report.
Finding Information about Private Companies
The Marriott Library has databases that provide information on private and unlisted companies. However, neither of these databases are licensed for commercial use; students must only use them for noncommercial purposes. Check out Business Librarian Lorelei Rutledge's video below explaining how to find information about private companies
- Pitchbook This link opens in a new windowPitchBook allows you to search private equity and venture capital deals by various criteria. PitchBook also contains information on mergers and acquisitions. Use PitchBook to establish benchmarks, find real time data on deals and gather information on investors. This database requires individuals to create a personal account which expires annually. Create your personal account while on campus using a valid @utah.edu email address. The PitchBook database is view only and for students enrolled at the University of Utah. Students, faculty, and staff requiring data downloads should contact Alfred Mowdood - email@example.com / 801-585-7125 requesting an appointment.
- PrivCo This link opens in a new windowNOTE: This database requires (free) user registration before use.
PrivCo is a source for business and financial data on non-publicly traded corporations, including family owned, private equity owned, venture backed, and international unlisted companies.
Finding Information on Public Companies
The Marriott Library has several databases available to help you learn more about public companies. Check out Business Librarian Lorelei Rutledge's video about how to use databases to find information about public companies below.
- Mergent Online This link opens in a new windowThis database contains searchable data for more than 10,000 companies on the NYSE, AMEX and Nasdaq exchanges. All financials are provided as reported and include information on balance sheets, income statements, expenditures, assets, liabilities, cash flow, performance trends, and more.
- Mergent Archives This link opens in a new windowDating back to the mid 1800's, Mergent's Historical Annual Reports collections offers over 1,000,000 documents available in .PDF format for the United States, Canada and Europe. Access an extensive library of high-quality historical documents featuring rich textual details and in-depth analyses on thousands of global companies.
- Factiva This link opens in a new windowThis database provides access to licensed content from Dow Jones journalists, media outlets, trade and consumer publications and business Web sites. Factiva also contains in-depth company, executive and industry profiles, expert analysis, market data and other reports.
- Value Line This link opens in a new windowThis database provides access to documents and financial information for a variety of companies.
- Last Updated: Jan 5, 2023 3:19 PM
- URL: https://campusguides.lib.utah.edu/c.php?g=1262008
- Print Page