Demographic Statistics from the U.S. Census and other sources: Ski Industry Demographics
A beginners guide to finding statistics about the U.S., Utah and the U.
Ski Industry Statistics
- US Ski & Snowboard Resorts in the US (IBISWorld)IBISWorld Industry Report 71392 by Thi Le (December 2020)
- 2019-2020 SIA Participation StudyMust use vpn.utah.edu when off campus
- SIA snow sports participation insights, 2019Must use vpn.utah.edu to access off campus
- Outdoor Participation ReportsAnnual reports from the Outdoor Foundation
- National Ski Areas AssociationThe trade association for ski area owners and operators in the U.S.
- National Survey on Recreation and the Environmenta federal government survey with data about recreation participation.
- U.S. Skiing Employment, East and West (2008)U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2008)
Utah Ski Industry
- Ski Archives, J. Willard Marriott LibraryThe Utah Ski Archives are housed in the Special Collections Department at the University of Utah Marriott Library, located on Level 4. Established in 1989, this self-funded program was created to preserve a comprehensive history of skiing in Utah and the Intermountain region.
- Ski UtahSki Utah and the Utah Ski and Snowboard Association were founded in 1975 with the aim of promoting the ski and snowboard industry in Utah.
- Economic Report to the Governor(1987-current) Annual reports contain statistics about Utah recreation and Tourism, including skiing.
- The State of Utah’s Travel and Tourism Industry [May 2018 report] May 2018 Jennifer Leaver Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute The University of Utah
- Results of 1989-90 Utah Ski Industry StudyUtah Economic & Business Review. July 1990 - Volume 50, Number 7
- Results of the 1990-91 Utah Skier SurveyUtah Economic & Business Review. August/September 1991 - Volume 51, Numbers 8 and 9
- Results of the 1993-1994 Utah Skier SurveyUtah Economic & Business Review. November/December 1994 - Volume 54, Numbers 11 and 12
- Income and Spending Patterns of Utah Residents Skiing at Utah Resorts (1996)Utah Business & Economic Review. November/December 1996 - Volume 56, Numbers 11 and 12
- Economic Impact of the Utah Alpine Ski Industry (2006)Policy Perspectives. Center for Public Policy & Administration. (July 26, 2006)
- SBRnet: Sports Business Research This link opens in a new windowThis database provides access to market research and industry news covering many aspects of the sporting goods and sports marketing industry, including sports equipment sales, sports participation, sports broadcasting, sports sponsorship and sports marketing.
Ski statistics in print
- Economic Analysis of United States Ski Areas byCall Number: Marriott Library Special Collections: GV854 .N58 G63Data on ski area characteristics (size, location, days of operation, capacity, skier visits, lift ticket prices, etc.) and economic factors.
These reports aren't available online, but you can read them in Marriott Library Special Collections Utah Ski Archives.
- Kottke National End of Season Survey byCall Number: Marriott Library Special Collections, GV854.8.N58 K56The industry's source for regional and national skier/snowboarder visit data
2012/2013 to 2016 SnowSports Industries America (SIA) Reports
- 2016 SIA snow sports intelligence reportMust use vpn.utah.edu to access off campus
- 2014 SIA Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report190 page report
2012 SnowSports Industries America (SIA) Reports
- 2012 SIA Snow Sports : Women's Market Intelligence Report125 page report
- 2012 SIA Snow Sports : Youth Market Intelligence Report.98 page report
- 2012 Snow Sports Market Intelligence Report298 page report--full version