Film and Media Arts: Images and Streaming Media
Other Image- & Media-related Guides
Images and Media for Research and Presentations
by Greg Hatch Last Updated Nov 30, 2021 110 views this year
Permission Free Resources
by Allyson Mower Last Updated Jul 20, 2020 83 views this year
Copyright for the Fine & Performing Arts
by Greg Hatch Last Updated Mar 16, 2023 192 views this year
Marriott Library subscribes to a large set of Image Databases that have significant photographic and illustration content. Below are a few highlights:
- The Vogue ArchiveComprises every issue--more than 400,000 pages--in high resolution color from 1892 to today. Search by designer, photographer, model, author, advertiser, label/brand, article of clothing, fabric/material, color, and more!
- Underground and Independent Comics, Comix, and Graphic NovelsThe first ever scholarly, primary source database focusing on adult comic books and graphic novels. Beginning with the first underground comix from the 1960’s to the works of modern sequential artists, this collection will contain more than 75,000 pages of comics and graphic novels, along with 25,000 pages of interviews, criticism, and journal articles that document the continual growth and evolution of this artform.
- ARTstorProvides curated collections of more than 2 million images of art, architecture, artifacts, and primary documents, including costume and set renderings, playbills, production photos, etc. Time periods range from ancient to modern and geographic locations from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe. (Off-campus? Read "More" information below.)
- Anatomy.TV This link opens in a new windowAnatomy.TV is a suite of 3D interactive models of human anatomy. Controls allow users to zoom, rotate and peel away layers from the models. MRIs, X-rays, live-action movies and animations are also included to supplement the computer-generated models.
If you are considering a public screening of a film, be sure to check out Marriott Library's Public Performance Permission guide, first.
- Digitalia This link opens in a new windowA diverse selection of movies and documentaries available to stream from around the world. Foreign language films in Bosnian, Russian, German, Spanish, French and Italian to name a few.
- Film Platform This link opens in a new windowFILM PLATFORM connects academic audiences with leading documentary films from across the world. It is meticulously curated by film experts and leading academics to showcase meaningful documentaries of social, political and cultural importance. The publisher works with an Academic Advisory Board to ensure that each of our films upholds the highest educational standards, and speaks directly to today’s academic topics and concerns. The catalog is continually expanding to include the newest award-winning documentaries and current film festival favorites. Over 90% of the catalog is exclusively available via Film Platform.
- Independent World Cinema This link opens in a new windowThis collection includes 426 independently produced films, from the early 20th century to 2016, ranging in length from 2 minutes to 4+ hours! Distributors include ArtMattan, Film Movement, Milestone Films, Pragda, Oscilloscope, and Zeitgeist. These films support teaching and learning in film studies, cultural history, psychology, gender studies, anthropology, theatre, African-American studies, and more. Showing films from this collection outside of the classroom is allowed, often called Public Performance Rights. Admission fees are not allowed.
- SwankThis database provides streaming access to feature and documentary films from Hollywood studios. Films are specifically selected to support curricular needs.
- Films On DemandStreaming video of historically significant performing arts productions, news programs, TV series, and documentaries. Featured producers include BBC, PBS, MVD Entertainment, Films for the Humanities, and Royal Opera House.
- Alexander Street Video This link opens in a new windowThis database provides cross-searchable access to all of the video databases that the Marriott Library subscribes to through Alexander Street Press. Content and coverage of this database will change as the databases it contains are updated, removed, or added to. More details about the collections that can be searched through this listing are provided on this database's search page.
- College MediaPart of the Utah Education Network's Digital Media Service. Free for Utah educators and students. Includes videos licensed by the Utah Instructional Media Consortium, local programs from KUED-7, and National PBS programs. Content is searchable, can be previewed, then downloaded for on-demand use. Requires a user name and password, which can be obtained here: http://www.uen.org/dms/college_request.php
- American History in VideoProvides the largest and richest collection of video available online for the study of American history, with 2,000 hours and more than 5,000 titles on completion. The collection allows students and researchers to analyze historical events, and their presentation over time, through commercial and governmental newsreels, archival footage, public affairs footage, and important documentaries. This release now provides 4,248 titles, equaling approximately 1,031 hours.
- Ethnographic Video Online This link opens in a new windowEthnographic Video Online provides access to a collection of resources for the study of human culture and behavior featuring (at completion) over 1,000 films for more than 750 hours of video. The collection covers many regions of the world and features the work of a variety of influential documentary filmmakers of the 20th century, including interviews, previously unreleased raw footage, field notes, study guides, and more.
- Theatre in VideoAccess more than 250 definitive performances of the world's leading plays, together with more than 100 film documentaries featuring notable playwrights, actors and directors.
- Features streaming videos of 20th century dance performances and documentaries about choreographers and dance training. Includes ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, experimental, and improvisational dance.
Media On the Web
- Rhizome's ArtBaseAn online archive of digital art containing over 2,500 art works. Encompassing a vast range of projects from artists all over the world, the ArtBase provides an online home for works that employ materials such as software, code, websites, moving images, games and browsers towards aesthetic and critical ends.