Film and Media Arts: Film Reviews
Find Film Reviews in Databases
Before the internet, film reviews were primarily published in newspapers and popular magazines, and compiled in book anthologies (and continue to be). Knowing when the film premiered is crucial information for locating reviews. The databases below provide citations and some full-text reviews from local and international newspapers and magazines.
- Newspaper SourceCovers: 1995-present. Regional and national U.S. newspapers. Television news transcripts. International newspapers.
- New York Times HistoricalCovers: 1851-2013. Full-text coverage of the New York Times going back to the first issues.
- Los Angeles Times Archive This link opens in a new windowThis historical newspaper provides genealogists, researchers and scholars with online, searchable first-hand accounts and coverage of the politics, society and events of the time.
- San Francisco Chronicle Archive includes current content This link opens in a new windowSan Francisco Chronicle from 1869 to current content.
- Times Digital Archive (London Times) 1785-2012 This link opens in a new windowDigital version of The Times of London archive.
- ProQuest NewsstandCovers: approx. 1985-present. Regional and national U.S. newspapers, and international newspapers.
- Reader's Guide RetrospectiveCovers: 1890-1982. This resource focuses on popular magazines, such as Time, Newsweek, Ladies' Home Journal, etc.
Find Film Reviews In Print Materials
Do a Subject Keyword search in the Usearch library catalog for the exact phrase: "motion pictures" AND reviews . This search will list 150+ books and magazines with film reviews.
For books about the theory and practice of critiquing films, search for the Subject Keyword phrase: "film criticism"
- The Kael Index: A Guide to Movie Critic's Work, 1954-1991.Call Number: Marriott Library, Level 2, General Collection, PN1998.3 K34 S63 1993An index pointing to film and TV reviews written by Pauline Kael and published in 10 anthologies; Marriott Library owns all 10 books. Listed alphabetically by film title, studio, and the last names of directors, actors, and screenwriters.
- Film Review Index, 1986Marriott Library, Level 2, General Collection: PN1995Z.F513 1986 v.1 & 2
- How to Locate Reviews of Plays and Films: A Bibliography of Criticism from the Beginnings to the PresentCall Number: Marriott Library, Level 2, General Collection: PN1707Z .S36 1976A guide for locating theater and film criticism in print sources prior to 1976.
Film Release Indexes
- IMDB: Internet Movie DatabaseFilmographies of over 250,000 U.S. and international studio films, independent films, television programs, and video games. Information includes release dates, production companies, performers, directors, screenwriters, and crew members. There is also a growing collection of photos of film personalities. Updated continuously.
- Screen WorldAnnual publication summarizing the year's domestic, international, and independent film releases. Includes release dates, production companies, performers, directors, screenwriters, and film stills. Marriott Library owns volumes from 1951-2004.
Film Review Websites
- Rotten TomatoesGathers snippets of published reviews from film critics around the world and averages their overall ratings of each film.
- Roger EbertLong-time Chicago Sun-Times reviewer.
- Film CriticHosted by AMC (originally American Movie Classics), which also owns IFC (Independent Film Channel) and the Sundance Channel.