Film and Media Arts: Getting Started
Getting started with research may require accessing background information to learn basic information about your topic. Biographies and encyclopedias are great places to start.
Encyclopedia articles are an excellent way to quickly learn the basic information about your research topic, providing you with the terminology and names you'll need for further research.
We have hundreds of encyclopedias in print editions on topics ranging from Anime to Zombies! To find them:
- Go to Usearch, the library catalog
- Search for: Encyclopedias AND ...
- Replace the .... with a concept or research topic. For example: Encyclopedias AND Anime
- If needed, limit your results using the Resource Type and Subject options in the right-side column.
- If you see a link under the title that says "Available At" or "Checked Out," the encyclopedia is available in print. If you see a link for "Online Access" it's available as an e-book.
These three electronic databases provide citations and full-text biographies.
Find books, e-books, videos, & more at Marriott Library
Academic libraries around the world have special collections departments with similarly unique materials, often with a regional/geographic focus. Be sure to look for their websites, too.
Guides to Related Disciplines
Movement in Culture through History
by Greg Hatch Last Updated Aug 3, 2023 52 views this year
Dance Research Design
by Greg Hatch Last Updated Aug 3, 2023 150 views this year
by Greg Hatch Last Updated Oct 2, 2023 2792 views this year
Art (Studio Art)
by Luke Leither Last Updated Oct 25, 2022 654 views this year
by Dale Larsen Last Updated Jan 31, 2023 797 views this year
by Todd Samuelson Last Updated Mar 26, 2021 85 views this year
Graduate Studies Themes - 2020/2021
by Jessica Breiman Last Updated Nov 2, 2023 217 views this year
Environmental and Sustainability Studies
by Annika Deutsch Last Updated Nov 2, 2023 515 views this year
by Marie Paiva Last Updated Sep 7, 2022 455 views this year
by Dale Larsen Last Updated Oct 3, 2022 359 views this year
Western Waters Digital Library
by Anna Neatrour Last Updated Apr 14, 2020 79 views this year