Film and Media Arts: Find Films
Browse the Marriott Library's collection of movies!
If you want to screen a film in a public venue, consult Marriott Library's Public Performance Permissions guide, first.
The films linked below may or may not have public performance rights already paid for.
- UofU Libraries Media BrowserThis is a new tool that allows library patrons to browse films and video games by format.
- Narrative and documentary feature filmsClick the link above, then use the "Tweak My Results" options in the right column to narrow down the list.
- The Criterion Collection400+ DVDs and VHS of The Criterion Collection editions of classic and contemporary, international films.
Film Publishers & Distributors
More to come. Please offer suggestions in the "Comments" below.
- Flicker Alley"Rare early U.S. and foreign silent film. Each release is the culmination of hundreds of hours of research, digital restoration, graphic design, music composition and scoring."
- Criterion CollectionA continuing series of important classic and contemporary films dedicated to gathering the greatest films from around the world and publishing them in editions that offer the highest technical quality and award-winning, original supplements.
UofU Media Streaming
Marriott Library purchases streaming access to individual feature and documentary films through Kanopy.com to support courses and research. All of these films are available for the UofU community to watch and enjoy. Some are even available for public screenings (look for the phrase "Public Performance Rights"). Click here to see an alphabetical list of these film titles in the Library catalog.
Additional streaming films can be accessed through the databases below.
- Swank Digital Campus This link opens in a new windowThis database provides streaming access to feature and documentary films from Hollywood studios. Films are specifically selected to support curricular needs.
(If you are on a Mac in the library, please use the Safari browser to access this database. In order to view films, Google Widevine Media Optimizer should be installed on your computer. See HELP link on this entry for specific system requirements.)
- Film Platform This link opens in a new windowFILM PLATFORM is curated by film experts and academics to showcase international documentaries of social, political and cultural importance. The catalog is continually expanding to include the newest award-winning documentaries and current film festival favorites. Over 90% of the catalog is exclusively available via Film Platform.
- DigitaliaA diverse selection of streamed movies and documentaries from around the world. Foreign language films in Bosnian, Russian, German, Spanish, French and Italian to name a few.
- Independent World Cinema This link opens in a new windowThis collection includes 426 independently produced films, from the early 20th century to 2016, ranging in length from 2 minutes to 4+ hours! Distributors include ArtMattan, Film Movement, Milestone Films, Pragda, Oscilloscope, and Zeitgeist. Showing films from this collection outside of the classroom is allowed (aka Public Performance Rights); admission fees are not allowed.
- Films On DemandStreaming video of historically significant performing arts productions, news programs, TV series, and documentaries. Featured producers include BBC, PBS, Shakespeare's Globe, MVD Entertainment, Films for the Humanities, and Royal Opera House.
- Naxos Video LibraryA performing arts video library with over 1,300 operas, ballets, documentaries, live concerts, and musical tours of historic places. It includes the Naxos DVD label, Opus Arte, Arthaus, Dacapo, and EuroArts, among others, and is continuously updated.
- UofU Media StreamingClick the link and log in with you uNID to access films Marriott Library is streaming this semester.
- Film Genre for the Screenwriter by Film Genre for the Screenwriter is a practical study of how classic film genre components can be used in the construction of a screenplay. Based on Jule Selbo's popular course, this accessible guide includes an examination of the historical origins of specific film genres, how and why these genres are received and appreciated by film-going audiences, and how the student and professional screenwriter alike can use the knowledge of film genre components in the ideation and execution of a screenplay. Explaining the defining elements, characteristics and tropes of genres from romantic comedy to slasher horror, and using examples from classic films like Casablanca alongside recent blockbuster franchises like Harry Potter, Selbo offers a compelling and readable analysis of film genre in its written form. The book also offers case studies, talking points and exercises to make its content approachable and applicable to readers and writers across the creative field.Call Number: e-book
- Handbook of American Film Genres by More genres, 19 in fact, are discussed than in other standard works. The 14 genres considered here by film scholar contributors other than Gehring include the adventure film, the western, the gangster film, film noir, the WW II combat film, the horror film, science fiction, fantasy, the musical, melodrama, the social problem film, the biographical film, and the art film. The discussion of fine comedy genres by Gehring himself is far more extensive than in other genre studies, embracing screwball comedy, populist comedy, parody, black humor, and clown comedy. . . . Recommended for both undergraduate and graduate collections. Choice With the increased sophistication of film scholarship in recent decades, the traditional motion picture categories are often found too limited to provide a workable basis for exploring the medium. Addressing the need for an expanded conceptual framework, this new handbook offers eighteen informative genre essays by recognized film scholars, together with selected filmographies and bibliographies for each category discussed. Written in a straightforward, readable style, it is the most comprehensive and up-to-date film guide available.Call Number: Marriott Library Level 2: General Collection PN1993.5 .U6 H335 1988
- A Dictionary of Film Studies by Written by experts in the field, this dictionary covers all aspects of film studies, including terms, concepts, debates, and movements in film theory and criticism, national, international and transnational cinemas, film history, film movements and genres, film industry organizations andpractices, and key technical terms and concepts in 500 detailed entries. Most entries also feature recommendations for further reading and a large number also have web links. The web links are listed and regularly updated on a companion website that complements the printed book.The dictionary is international in its approach, covering national cinemas, genres, and film movements from around the world such as the Nouvelle Vague, Latin American cinema, the Latsploitation film, Bollywood, Yiddish cinema, the spaghetti western, and World cinema. The most up-to-date dictionaryof its kind available, this is a must-have for all students of film studies and ancillary subjects, as well as an informative read for cinephiles and for anyone with an interest in films and film criticism.Call Number: E-book
- Film Genre for the Screenwriter by Film Genre for the Screenwriter is a practical study of how classic film genre components can be used in the construction of a screenplay. Based on Jule Selbo's popular course, this accessible guide includes an examination of the historical origins of specific film genres, how and why these genres are received and appreciated by film-going audiences, and how the student and professional screenwriter alike can use the knowledge of film genre components in the ideation and execution of a screenplay. Explaining the defining elements, characteristics and tropes of genres from romantic comedy to slasher horror, and using examples from classic films like Casablanca alongside recent blockbuster franchises like Harry Potter, Selbo offers a compelling and readable analysis of film genre in its written form. The book also offers case studies, talking points and exercises to make its content approachable and applicable to readers and writers across the creative field.Call Number: E-book
Free Films Online
- Open Culture's Free Movie Online500+ quality films that you can watch online. The collection is divided into the following categories: Comedy & Drama; Film Noir, Horror & Hitchcock; Westerns & John Wayne; Silent Films; Documentaries, and Animation. Many early 20th century classics.
MultiMedia Archives - Moving Images
Moving Image & Sound Archive
by Molly Rose Steed Last Updated Nov 22, 2021 47 views this year
Utah Independent Film Archive
by Molly Rose Steed Last Updated Nov 4, 2020 27 views this year