Film and Media Arts: Film Synopses
A Selection of Cinematic Themes and Synopses Books
- Themes in Latin American cinema: a critical survey byMarriott Library, Level 2, General Collection: PN1993.5.L3 R53 2011
- Encyclopedia of Sports Films, 2011 byThis is an e-book. You must be on campus or have a current uNID to access it.
- Czech and Slovak cinema: theme and tradition byThis is an e-book. You must be on campus or have a current uNID to access it. (Also available in print: Marriott Library, Level 2, General Collection: PN1993.5.C9 H18 2009)
- Have you seen?: a personal introduction to 1,000 films byMarriott Library, Level 2, General Collection: PN1997.8.T46 2008
- Warners wiseguys: all 112 films that Robinson, Cagney and Bogart made for the studio byMarriott Library, Level 2, General Collection: PN1999.W3 N65 2008
Find Film Synopses
A synopsis will often summarize the production dates, artistic & production staff, lead performers, principle characters, settings/locations, and plot of a film.
In the Usearch catalog, do a keyword search for the terms: (films OR "motion pictures") AND (catalogs OR "plots, themes") to get a list of 600+ books.
You can further refine the results by clicking on options under the "Subjects" heading in the right-hand column (click "Show More" to see all the Subject options).
You can also narrow the search by adding the name of a studio (e.g. Vitaphone) or a genre of film (e.g. horror) to the search box and searching again.
- AFI Catalog of Feature Filmsincludes entries on nearly 60,000 American feature-length and 17,000 short films produced from 1893-2011, as well as AFI Awards Outstanding Movies of the Year from 2000 through 2010.
- Film Site"Detailed plot synopses, film reference material, interpretive & descriptive review commentary, and background history on many of the best Hollywood and American classic films in the last century." Owned by AMC, which also owns IFC and the Sundance Channel.