Film and Media Arts: Film Theory & History
Browse at the Dumke Library
Current issues of these, and many more, can be browsed at the Dumke Fine Arts & Architecture Library.
Film & Media Magazines
For film- and media-related magazines and journals, search for the Subject Keyword phrase: "motion pictures" AND periodicals.
You can further refine the results by choosing from the list of "Subjects" in the right-hand column (click on "More" to display all Subject options).
- Entertainment Industry Magazine Archive This link opens in a new windowAn archival research resource containing the essential primary sources for studying the history of the film and entertainment industries, from the era of vaudeville and silent movies through to 2000. The core US and UK trade magazines covering film, music, broadcasting and theater are included, together with film fan magazines and music press titles. Magazines have been scanned cover-to-cover in high-resolution color, with granular indexing of all articles, covers, ads and reviews.
- Mexican Cinema This link opens in a new windowThis collection is focused on popular movie periodicals from the Golden Age of Mexican Cinema. It includes magazines such as Cinema Reporter (1943-1965) and Cine Mundial (1954-1955), rare copies of El Cine Gráfico from 1935 and the weekly El Mundo Ilustrado (1902-1910), dozens of film flyers, the personal scrap books of Fernando de Fuentes (1894-1958), reviews, movie stills, programs, and advertisements. The sources in this collection were previously accessible only in the archives of the Filmoteca de la UNAM in Mexico City. The database is targeted at scholars and researchers working on film and media studies, Latin American studies, and other aspects of the historical, social, and political impact of cinema.
Search for Articles in Film Databases
- Film and Television Literature IndexSubjects include film & television theory, preservation & restoration, screenwriting, production, cinematography, technical aspects, and reviews. In addition, it includes Variety movie reviews from 1914 to present and over 36,300 images from the MPTV Image Archive.
- Complete Index to World Film since 1895Contains information on over 474,000 films produced around the world since 1888, with over half a million references to books and journals.
Search for Film-related Articles in Humanities Databases
- Communication & Mass MediaCovers publishing related to communication, mass media, and other closely-related fields of study, including cinema and media studies. Offers cover-to-cover indexing and abstracts for more than 550 journals, and selected coverage of nearly 200 more, for a combined coverage of 737 titles.
- MLA International BibliographyThis is the quintessential index for articles, books, bibliographies and conference proceedings pertaining to language and literature, including plays. Coverage: 1926-present.
- International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance (IBTD)Journal, magazine, and reference book articles addressing the history of theater in societies around the world; theory of theater movements and genres; and analysis of productions, companies, and individuals.
- America: History and Life This link opens in a new windowAmerica: History and Life indexes literature covering the history and culture of the United States and Canada, from prehistory to the present. With indexing for 1,700 journals from as far back as 1910, this database is a strong bibliographic reference tool for students and scholars of U.S. and Canadian history. This database also includes citations and links to book and media reviews. The predominantly English-language journal coverage is balanced by an international perspective on topics and…
- US Newsstream This link opens in a new windowThis database contains the full text of many U.S. and international news sources. The collection includes coverage of major U.S. and international newspapers such as The New York Times and The Times of London, plus hundreds of other news sources and news wires. Also includes archives for the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News.
- Project MuseFull text coverage of more than 150 journals published by university presses, with a collection specifically geared toward film, theater, and the performing arts. Coverage: 1993-present.
- Academic Search PremierA scholarly, multi-disciplinary database that offers journal & magazines articles on a range of subjects including film and media studies, computer animation, cultural studies, design, technology, theater, music, and more!
- Dissertations & Theses: GlobalProvides full-text access to virtually all North American universities' dissertations published from 1997 to the present, and a mix of some full-text and some citations-only entries before that date.
Film Libraries & Archives
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences: Margaret Herrick LibraryScripts, photos, books, graphic arts, oral histories, periodicals (magazines & journals), biographies, and ephemera. Some available in the online Digital Collections, others available only at their Beverly Hills location.
- Women Film Pioneers ProjectFeatures silent-era producers, directors, co-directors, scenario writers, scenario editors, camera operators, title writers, editors, costume designers, and exhibitors, not just actresses!
- Media History Digital LibraryMore than 180 digitized collections of classic media periodicals (from early- to mid-20th century) covering film, radio, and television primarily, with a bit of theater and music.
Open Source Film Journals & Datasets
- CinemetricsTool for measuring length and number of film shots, plus a database of films already measured.
- 16:9: a Danish Journal of Film StudiesEach issue features an article in English by a renowned film scholar.
- Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media (Ireland)Dynamic international forum open to the discussion of all aspects of film history, theory and criticism through multiple research methodologies and perspectives.
- Bright Lights Film Journal (US)Mixes savvy pop reviews with in-depth analysis of current and classic, edgy and indie, international and experimental cinema - with wit and a political edge.
- Cinema: Journal of Philosophy and the Moving Image (Portugal)International, peer-reviewed publication dedicated to the philosophical inquiry into cinema in the broadest sense, including video, television, and new media.
- Doc On-Line: Revista Digital de Cinema Documentário (Portugal)Divulges research in the scope of the documentary cinema, with special emphasis on multidisciplinary approaches.
- Film-Philosophy (UK)International academic journal dedicated to philosophically reviewing film studies, philosophical aesthetics, and world cinema.
- International Journal of Scottish Theatre and ScreenInternational interdisciplinary e-journal with an interest in past and present trends in contemporary theatre and screen in Scotland, practices of Scottish theatre and screen practitioners abroad, and representations of Scotland in theatre and on screen.
- The Journal of Religion and Film (US)Committed to the study of connections between the medium of film and the phenomena of religion, however those are defined.
- Movie: a Journal of Film Criticism (UK)Committed to publishing rigorous but accessible critical writing that is responsive to the detailed texture and artistry of film and television, old and new.
- Studii si Cercetari de Istoria Artei: Teatru, Muzică, Cinematografie (Romania)Dedicated to advancing research in the history of Romanian and European theatre, music and cinema.
- Wide Screen (UK)Devoted to the critical study of cinema from historical, theoretical, political, and aesthetic perspectives, with regard to changes in the modes of production, distribution, and exhibition.