Online General Reference
- Oxford Reference Online"Contains about 100 dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press."
- Sage Reference OnlineThe premier social sciences platform for SAGE and CQ Press book, reference, and video content.
- CREDO ReferenceSearch 3,502,802 full text articles in 987 titles from 116 publishers.
Looking for more detailed reference help?
If you need additional help finding reference materials, please connect with your subject specialist, visit the Master Guide, or contact us via email or chat.
- ASTM Compass contains, standards, journals, technical papers, manuals, and data series published by ASTM International.
- MedlinePlusHealth information from the National Library of Medicine
- STAT!RefSTAT!Ref is an electronic medical library that allows users to cross-search more than 350 medical resources in over 50 disciplines, such as Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment, Mosby's GenRX, and the Griffith 5 Minute Clinical Consult, among others.
- CQ Researcher This link opens in a new windowThe CQ Researcher publishes reports 44 times a year that offer in-depth single-topic coverage of political and social issues, with regular reports on topics in health, international affairs, education, the environment, technology and the U.S. economy. Each CQ Researcher report is investigated and written by a seasoned journalist. Editors identify the topic to be investigated, then the writer conceives its content, formulating the key questions that it will seek to answer; reads background mat…
- Safari Tech Books, see O’Reilly Safari This link opens in a new windowO’Reilly-Safari is a comprehensive repository of business and technology resources that help prepare students for today’s technology-dependent workforce. And it enables library collections to offer up-to-date, relevant materials for rapidly evolving areas of study. Mobile access, downloading, and personalization. Content from more than 250 publishers covering career trends like Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, and Gaming. Multi-format delivery from a single platform. Safari's new platform uses Single Sign On (SSO) To login to the University of Utah's account, when prompted for a login information, enter your University of Utah email address. Once you enter that, you will be taken to a University of Utah SSO login page, enter your uNID.
Check USearch for more software tutorial books.
|Oxford English Dictionary
Available in both print & online
PE 1625. O87
|American Heritage College Dictionary
PE 1628 .A6227 2002
|Webster's New World College Dictionary
PE1628 .W5629 2016
|Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)
(17th edition) PN 6081. B27 2002
|The OWL at Purdue|
|Harvard College Writing Center|
|Elements of Style (1918)
(4th Edition) PE 1408. S772 2000
|Style: The Basics of Clarity and Grace
PE 1421. W5455
|Academic Writing for Graduate
Students PE 1408. S7836 2004
What is Reference?
Historically, the reference section of a library contains the library's reference books. Reference materials often include dictionaries, encyclopedias, bibliographies, style guides, software manuals, or standards and are generally used to find facts or provide a broad overview of a topic. They should not be used as major sources for research papers or other projects.
In 2018 the Marriott Library moved our physical reference materials to the Automated Retrieval Center (ARC) and are available by request through our catalog. Since many of our reference materials can be accessed online, this Research Guide serves as an online reference section.
Librarian Contact Info
J. Willard Marriott Library
Head of Faculty Services,
Representative, Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC), and
Adjunct Assistant Professor in Kinesiology
295 South 1500 East #2110 R
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0860
Marriott Library, University of Utah
295 S 1500 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
295 S 1500 E Salt Lake City, UT
Need help? Contact us
Schedule a Research Consultation
More Subject Guides