AAPG (American Association of Petroleum Geologists) Style Resources
Since its founding in 1917, the American Association of Petroleum Geologists has been a pillar of the worldwide scientific community. The original purpose of AAPG, to foster scientific research, to advance the science of geology, to promote technology, and to inspire high professional conduct, still guides the Association today.
- AAPG Formatting and Style GuideFrom the AAPG website.
ACM (Association for Computing Machinery) Style Resources
ACM, the world's largest educational and scientific computing society, delivers resources that advance computing as a science and a profession. ACM provides the computing field's premier Digital Library and serves its members and the computing profession with leading-edge publications, conferences, and career resources.
- ACM Formatting and Style GuideFrom the ACM website.
ACS (American Chemical Society) Style Resources
Founded in 1876 and chartered by the U.S. Congress, we are the world’s largest scientific society. Our mission is to advance the broader chemistry enterprise and its practitioners for the benefit of Earth and its people. Our vision is to improve people’s lives through the transforming power of chemistry.
- Short Summary of the ACS Style Guide OnlineFrom the University of Madison, Wisconsin.
- Chapter 14 of the ACS Style GuideFrom the ACS website. Chapter 14 contains the rules for how to cite references in text and create a bibliography.
- ACS Style GuidePDF version of Chapter 14 of the ACS Style Guide contains the rules for how to cite references in text and create a bibliography.
AIP (American Institute of Physics) Style Resources
AIP Publishing lives by a promise to researchers: to ensure that all findings with the potential to advance the physical sciences are presented, promoted, and permanently available as the building blocks of future discoveries.
- AIP Style4th Edition, 1990
AMA (American Medical Association) Style Resources
Everything you need to produce well-organized and clear manuscripts. The AMA Manual of Style is a must-have guide for anyone involved in medical and scientific publishing.
- AMA Formatting and Style GuideFrom the AMA website.
ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers) Style Resources
From the ASCE website:
ASCE stands at the forefront of a profession that plans, designs, constructs, and operates society's economic and social engine - the built environment - while protecting and restoring the natural environment.
- ASCE Style GuideRevised 2014.
ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) Style Resources
ASME primarily uses the Chicago Manual of Style for reference format. Authors are encouraged to seek out precise instructions here. ASME does not allow references to Wikipedia.
Citing Medicine (National Library of Medicine) Style Resources
From the U.S. National Library of Medicine website:
Citing Medicine provides assistance to authors in compiling lists of references for their publications, to editors in revising such lists, to publishers in setting reference standards for their authors and editors, and to librarians and others in formatting bibliographic citations.
- The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers2nd edition, revised 2007.
Scientific Style and Format
From the Scientific Style and Format website:
Now in its eighth edition, the indispensable reference for authors, editors, publishers, students, and translators in all areas of science and related fields has been fully revised by the Council of Science Editors to reflect today’s best practices in scientific publishing.
- Scientific Style and Format by For more than fifty years, authors, editors, and publishers in the scientific community have turned to Scientific Style and Format for authoritative recommendations on all matters of writing style and citation. Developed by the Council of Science Editors (CSE), the leading professional association in science publishing, this indispensable guide encompasses all areas of the sciences. Now in its eighth edition, it has been fully revised to reflect today’s best practices in scientific publishing. nbsp; Scientific Style and Format citation style has been comprehensively reorganized, and its style recommendations have been updated to align with the advice of authoritative international bodies. Also new to the eighth edition are guidelines and examples for citing online images and information graphics, podcasts and webcasts, online videos, blogs, social networking sites, and e-books. Style instructions for physics, chemistry, genetics, biological sciences, and astronomy have been adjusted to reflect developments in each field. The coverage of numbers, units, mathematical expressions, and statistics has been revised and now includes more information on managing tables, figures, and indexes. Additionally, a full discussion of plagiarism and other aspects of academic integrity is incorporated, along with a complete treatment of developments in copyright law, including Creative Commons. nbsp; For the first time in its history, Scientific Style and Format will be available simultaneously in print and online at www.scientificstyleandformat.org.nbsp;Online subscribers will receive access to full-text searches of the new edition and other online tools, as well as the popular Chicago Manual of Style Online Forum, a community discussion board for editors and authors. Whether online or in print, the eighth edition of Scientific Style and Format remains the essential resource for those writing, editing, and publishing in the scientific community.ISBN: 9780226116495Publication Date: 2014-05-07
- Scientific Style and Format Citation Quick Guide (FREE)Students, researchers, writers: for help citing sources visit the quick guide to see examples of Scientific Style and Format citation style for common types of sources.
- Online Scientific Style and Format Style Guide (NOT free)Eighth edition. The online version is NOT free. Please check out the physical edition from the Marriott Library at the link below.
SME (Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration) Style Resources
Visit the SME website.
- SME Style Guide PDFRevised 2008.
- SME Style Guide OnlineRevised 2008.
SPE (Society of Petroleum Engineers) Style Resources
From the SPE website:
SPE is the largest individual member organization serving managers, engineers, scientists and other professionals worldwide in the upstream segment of the oil and gas industry.
- SPE Style Guide PDFRevised 2015-2016.
- SPE Style Guide OnlineRevised 2015-2016.
Vancouver Style Resources
Vancouver is also known as the Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submitted to Biomedical Journals. It follows rules from the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors.
Please see this guide from Monash University for more instruction on Vancouver citation style.