eBook Collections Usage Guide: Overview
Welcome! This How-to Guide is designed to help you use the Marriott's ebook resources effectively, troubleshoot any problems you may encounter, and understand the way ebooks and various ebook databases work. The tabs at the top of every page help you navigate around the site. You can click on the tab directly, or hover over it to see a drop-down menu for other pages in that section. Keep in mind that the tabs themselves are distinct pages - you may want to start with the first page in a drop-down menu that way you wont miss the introductory page for a section! This page provides a quick overview of this guide - if you are not sure where to start, this should give you a good idea of where to find the information you need.
Overview - this is the tab/page you are on right now. The drop-down menu contains some general information about ebooks and our collections. There is also a Quick Guide at the bottom of this page for people who want a fast, less explanatory guide to using our collections.
Using Our Collections - this tab contains pages that explain various aspects of our collections and ebooks in detail. If you are new to using electronic resources, this section should more than get you started.
Troubleshooting - this tab contains some quick troubleshooting tips that solve a variety of common problems, as well as information about authenticating with the campus network.
Need Help? - this tab tells you where to go next if this guide doesn't get you the help you need.
The guide will be updated regularly to remain current with new procedures or features that the university introduces, and is by no means comprehensive (there is a lot you can learn about ebooks!) - if you feel that the guide is incomplete in some way or have other suggestions, you can email the guide author at any time by clicking on the Send Email link in the Guide Author box, which is located near the top right of every page in the guide.
Below is a very brief guide to using our collections. If you are familiar with using computers to do research online, downloading and reading ebooks, and setting up devices and programs, then this guide may be all you need.
- Go to the Marriott Library homepage.
- If you know the specific ebook you want to read, search for it in the catalog tab. If not, browse to the ebook database type in the Research Databases.
- If you searched, click on the Online Access link next to your ebook in the search results or click on the book's title directly. If you browsed to the database list, click on the link to the database you need.
- If you are on campus (and on the UConnect network), you will be taken to the ebook or database immediately. If you are not on campus, you will need to type in your uNID and password to proceed.
- You are done! You should now be at the resource you need.
If you need more explanation than this or are having problems, please check the Using Our Collections and Troubleshooting sections for instructions. If you still can't find what you need, check the Need Help? tab for contact information and additional resources.
J. Willard Marriott Library
University of Utah