Medieval Books and Artifacts at the University of Utah: Manuscript Leaves in the Marriott Library
This page lists medieval manuscript leaves available in the Marriott Library. Items with call numbers may be used without an appointment in the Special Collections Reading Room on the 4th floor of the Marriott Library. Please contact the Rare Books Department of Special Collections to arrange for access to items without call numbers.
- Medieval illuminated manuscript fragment collection. Rare Books Oversize ND2895.S2 U5 1106 [catalog record]. 12 leaves in Latin, Arabic, and Persian, ranging in date from 1106-1625. Includes fragments of Qur'ans, Bibles, books of hours, missals, decretals, epistolaries, Thomas Aquinas' commentary on Peter Lombard's Sentences, and Nizami Ganjavi's Layla and Majnun.
- Latin chant fragment. Rare Books Oversize M2147 XIII 1200z [catalog record]. 1 leaf in Latin, with 4 illuminated initials.
- Pages from a Flemish manuscript book of hours. Rare Books ND3363.A1 P24 [catalog record]. 8 leaves of a Latin book of hours from Flanders featuring miniature paintings and gold initials. Date uncertain.
- Leaf from a late 14th cent. Spanish psalter. Rare Books Oversize BX2033.A3 S63 1400z [catalog record]. 1 leaf on vellum, with later illumination added on the left side and bottom.
- Sixteenth century Latin antiphonary fragments. [catalog record]. 8 fragments of antiphonaries in Latin, dating to the 16th century. Primarily from Spain, with some fragments from Portugal, Italy, and Southern France.
- Medieval illuminated manuscript fragment collection. [catalog record]. 12 leaves in Latin, Arabic, and Persian, ranging in date from 1106-1625. Includes fragments of Qur'ans, Bibles, books of hours, missals, decretals, epistolaries, Thomas Aquinas' commentary on Peter Lombard's Sentences, and Nizami Ganjavi's Layla and Majnun.
- Juzʼ al-Ḥamd (جزء الحمد). Rare Books Ms Or.10.27 [catalog record] The first part of the Qurʼān from a set of thirty individually bound volumes. Dated possibly to 486 [1093 CE] but certainly before 1400 CE.
- al-Majmūʻ al-mudhhab fī qawāʻid al-madhhab (المجموع المذهب في قواعد المذهب) Rare Books Ms Or.11.10 [catalog record] A compendium on Shāfiʻī fiqh, by Khalīl Kaykaldī al-ʻAlāʼīʼ. Approximately a quarter of the text is missing at the beginning. Dated 1400-1500 CE.
- al-Juzʼ al-rābiʻ min Maʻālim al-Tanzīl (الجزء الرابع من معالم التنزيل) by al-Ḥusayn ibn Masʻūd Baghawī. Rare Books Ms Or.11.1 [catalog record] The fourth volume (in a set of five) of Baghawī's commentary on the Koran. Contains the text from Suratal-Anbiyāʼ to the end of Surat al-Zamar. Dated to 1432 CE.
- Sharḥ li-ṣadr Sharḥ al-Rāzī lil-Risālah al-Shamsīyah (شرح لصدر شرح الرازي للرسالة الشمسية) by Burhān al-Dīn ibn Kamāl al-Dīn ibn Ḥamīd. Rare Books Ms Or.12.72 [catalog record] A commentary on al-Rāzī's introduction to his commentary on the first part of al-Qazwīnī's Risālah al-Shamsīyah, on logic, followed by the fifth and last chapter of al-Qazwīnī's Risālah al-Shamsīyah, dated 878 [1473 CE].