Learning Abroad: Welcome!
Learning Abroad Resources
- Learning AbroadThe University of Utah Learning Abroad website provides resources for students before, during, and after their travel abroad.
- Scholarships and FundingU Learning Abroad's collection of resources students can use to estimate the cost of their study abroad experience and search for scholarships and financial aide to offset that cost.
- Search for ProgramsUse the drop-down menus to search for programs that suit your interests and learning goals.
- Learning Abroad HandbookU Learning Abroad's comprehensive handbook for students preparing to study abroad.
- Students AbroadUS State Department site offering advice and a plethora of resources for students preparing to study abroad.
This guide will help you prepare for a learning abroad experience by connecting you with library resources such as travel and culture guides and foreign language training. You will also learn how to access online library resources from abroad.
On this page you will find general information from the U's Learning Abroad office that is applicable to all programs, as well as books about living and studying abroad. Click the tabs above to find resources specific to a country included in the university's learning abroad programs.
Books on Studying and Living Abroad
Note: These books are available for you to use before leaving the U--please do not take library books with you on your learning abroad trip.
- The Global Classroom: An Essential Guide to Study Abroad byGeneral Collection, Level 2: LC1090 .L279 2010
The Global Classroom explores the philosophy behind overseas travel, the potential value of the experience, practical preparation for study abroad, selecting the right program, actively engaging in foreign educational settings, reorientation challenges, and exploring pathways for integrating the experience into careers as engaged global citizens.
- Culture Shock! A Student's Guide byGeneral Collection, Level 2: LB2376 .P36 1996
Culture Shock! guides are easy-to-read, accurate, and entertaining crash courses in local customs and etiquette. Each Culture Shock! title is written by someone who's lived and worked in the country, and each book is packed with practical, accurate, and enjoyable information to help you find your way and feel at home.
- The Study Abroad Handbook byGeneral Collection, Level 2: LB2375 .L53 2007
This is a detailed guide for students who want to study in another country. Containing information on the practical, financial and emotional aspects of the study abroad experience, the book also includes tips and anecdotes from a diversity of international students. This book will guide students through every stage of the process, from choosing programs and applying for funding to the challenges of living abroad.
- Study Abroad 101 byGeneral Collection, Level 2: LB2376 .W55 2008
This book presents everything US college students need to know about Education Abroad--from before they select a program to after they return--through 101 easy-to-navigate sections. It is highly recommended for education abroad students, advisors, faculty, orientations, and courses. Of special note are the "Top Secrets" to make studying abroad an emerging, educational experience for the whole person.
This Learning Abroad guide was developed by Emily Bullough.
295 S 1500 E, Office 1726B
SLC, UT 84112-0860
Ask a Librarian!
Need help? Contact us
Schedule a Research Consultation
More Subject Guides