EndNote Basic and Desktop support: Citations & Bibliographies
Download the Cite-While-You-Write Add-in
Cite-While-You-Write (CWYW) is an add-on for Microsoft Word that allows you to insert & format in-text citations & bibiolographies from your EndNote Basic library. Download and install the plug-in by clicking the Cite While You Write link in the Format tab. The plug-in is available for Word for both Windows and Mac computers.
Creating Stand-alone Bibliographies
Need to create a stand-along bibliography? You export a bibliography as a .txt, .rtf, or html file.
1. On the Format tab, click Biblography and then click the Select Favorites link
2. Use the Select Favorites menu to save the APA 6th and MLA styles. Click on the style you want to save in the right column and then click the blue Copy to Favorites button. When you are done, click the Hide link in the upper right corner
3. Choose the group whose References should be in the bibliography (if the references are in multiple groups, make a single group with all of the items you want to include), the Bibliographic Style you want to use, and the File format for the document. You can Save the file, E-mail it, or Preview & Print it.
Inserting Citations into Word Documents
1. Click on the EndNote Web tab in Microsoft Word.
2. Move your cursor to where the in-text citation should be.
3. Click the Insert Citations icon.
4. Enter a word (author name, for example) in the search box to bring up the citation you want.
5. Select the correct citation.
6. Click Insert.
7. EndNote Basic includes many of the most common citation styles, such as APA, Chicago, & Vancouver.
CWYW creates an in-text citation and a bibliography for you. Remember to double check the formatting of the citations & bibliography.