Theatre: Find Scripts
Find Plays in Books & Magazines
Most plays are published in one of four ways:
In an individual book, Part of an Author’s Collected Works, Part of an Anthology of Plays (which includes works by many different authors).
- In any of these three instance, search the Usearch library catalog for the play title or the playwright's name.
- If that doesn’t work, try a Play Index (See Below) to find the title of a collected work or anthology. Then, look up that book’s title in the library catalog.
And, In Magazines/Periodicals.
- Theatre publications may publish plays in part or in their entirety, for example American Theatre and Plays and Players. Use the database International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance to locate a citation.
- In some cases, magazine publishers may offer a list of plays published. For example, American Theatre’s published play index, and Marymount Manhattan College's Finding Guide to the Plays and Players Collection.
A play index can point you to a book collection or anthology where a play has been published.
- Play Index- Published every 5 years (from 1949 to 2002), this set of books creates a comprehensive list of play anthologies and their contents, including play titles, authors, brief synopses, play length, casting analysis and set needs.
- Index to Plays, 1800-1926
- Index to Plays in Periodicals
- Ottemiller's Index to Plays in Collections
- Chicorel's Theater Index to Plays
- Chicorel's Theatre Index to Plays for Young People
Search the two online indexes linked below to find the titles of individual plays published in anthologies and collected works. The call numbers listed will be different at Marriott Library, so search for the book’s title in our library catalog.
Find Full-text Plays Online
Find Plays Online
Plays that are in the “public domain” (no longer covered under copyright law) are published in various locations. Some options include: