Theatre: Find Scripts
Find Plays in Books & Magazines
Most plays are published in one of four ways:
In an individual book, Part of an Author’s Collected Works, Part of an Anthology of Plays (which includes works by many different authors).
- In any of these three instance, search the Usearch library catalog for the play title or the playwright's name.
- If that doesn’t work, try a Play Index (See Below) to find the title of a collected work or anthology. Then, look up that book’s title in the library catalog.
- If you don't have a specific title in mind, you can browse plays by doing an Advanced Search with the Subject containing "Drama" and limiting resource type to "Books".
And, In Magazines/Periodicals.
- Theatre publications may publish plays in part or in their entirety, for example American Theatre and Plays and Players. Use the database International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance to locate a citation.
- In some cases, magazine publishers may offer a list of plays published. For example, American Theatre’s published play index.
A play index can point you to a book collection or anthology where a play has been published.
- Play Index- Published every 5 years (from 1949 to 2002), this set of books creates a comprehensive list of play anthologies and their contents, including play titles, authors, brief synopses, play length, casting analysis and set needs.
- Index to Plays, 1800-1926 (and the supplement)
- Index to Plays in Periodicals
- Ottemiller's Index to Plays in Collections
- Chicorel's Theater Index to Plays
- Chicorel's Theatre Index to Plays for Young People
Find Full-text Plays Online
Find Plays Online
Plays that are in the “public domain” (no longer covered under copyright law) are published in various locations. Some options include: