Theatre: Production & Design
In the Library...
- The Designs of Ann Roth byMarriott Library, Level 2, General Collection: PN2287.R759 D87 2014
- Starting Your Career as a Theatrical Designer byMarriott Library, Level 2, General Collection: PN2091.S8 R475 2012
- Technical Design Solutions for Theatre, vol 1-3 byMarriott Library, Level 2, General Collection: PN2091.M3 T43 2002A compilation of the best Technical Briefs, single-focus articles on creative technical production solutions published by the prestigious Yale School of Drama. The range of topics includes scenery, props, painting, electrics, sound, and costumes. (Also available as e-books.)
Remote Software Access & Training
Marriott Library offers remote access to over 100 software programs, including LightWright and AutoDesk AutoCAD, which means you can use them on your own computer or laptop without purchasing the software yourself! Training manuals and videos are also available for many software packages.
- Remote Software Set-upDownload and install Ulteo or AquaConnect onto your computer to gain access to 100s of software packages.
- Software Available RemotelyBrowse or search our complete software list. Anything labeled "available remotely" can be used on your own computer. (A valid uNID is required.) All other software listed can be used on computers at Marriott Library or our satellite computer labs in the Union and Benchmark.
- Safari Tech BooksFull-text technology training books online. Titles range from basic tools (Photoshop, AfterEffects, and Flash) to advanced animation and 3D rendering (Maya and Blender).
For general theatre production materials, search the Library Catalog for the exact phrase: Theater -- Production and Direction.
Design research should consider the show's context:
- People: Professions, Social class, Celebrity, Relationships, etc.
- Places: Geographic locations, Cities, Buildings, etc.
- Things: Possessions, Conflicts, etc.
- Ideas: Time periods, Personalities, etc.
Searching a single concept will yield the most results:
- A search for depression brings back results about economic, geologic, and emotional depressions.
Searching for multiple concepts connected by AND will yield fewer but more-relevant results:
- depressions AND "dust bowl" brings back results mainly about the 1929 economic depression.
Combine synonyms or related terms in parentheses with the word OR:
- depressions AND (family OR families OR child OR children)
For image-rich books, add the phrase (“in art” OR “pictorial works”):
- depressions AND ("in art" OR "pictorial works")
For dates and time periods, use terms describing an era:
- Golden Age, McCarthy Era, Ming Dynasty, Prohibition, 19th Century, etc.
Or, search for specific people and events that define a time period:
- Kennedy, Madonna, Aristotle, Mao, Montezuma, etc.
- Flappers, apartheid, Woodstock, Boston Tea Party, fops, etc.
Visual and performing artists capture the spirit of their own time period and geographic location:
- Andy Warhol, Virginia Woolf, Michelangelo Buonarroti, Martha Graham, Duke Ellington, Frida Kahlo, Florenz Ziegfeld, etc.
Browse through old magazines and catalogs, both American and foreign.
- Life magazine, Sears catalog, Vogue fashion magazine, Michelin travel guides
Office Hours: Schedule a one-hour consultation.