Theatre: Renaissance to Modern
Subject Headings to get you started
Below are some suggested Subjects (aka Subject Headings) to begin your search for books and other materials in the Usearch library catalog. I encourage you to look for additional, related Subjects in the left-hand column once your get your search results.
- Go to the Library Catalog's Advanced Search mode.
- Change the drop-down menu option from "Any" to "Subject".
- Copy your choice from the suggested Subjects below and paste it into the Subject search box.
- Click the red Search button.
Note: For Subjects that include general concepts in italics, trying changing it to a topic relevant to your research.
- Country -- History (ex. Germany, Japan, Mexico, etc.)
- Great Britain -- History -- Charles II, 1660-1685
- Great Britain -- History -- Restoration, 1660-1688
- Adjective/nationality Drama (ex. Folk, religious, Italian, etc.)
- English drama -- Restoration, 1660-1700
- Note: Using the keyword "restoration" outside of the context of Great Britain will likely retrieve results about ecological or architectural restoration!
- English drama -- Early modern
- English drama -- 17th century
- English drama -- 17th century -- History and criticism
- Subject -- Religious aspects (ex: Drama, Women, Politics, etc.)
- Drama -- Religious aspects
- Religion and drama
- Religion in drama
- Racine, Jean, 1639-1699 -- Religion
- Puritan movements in literature
- Christianity and literature
- Dramatists, nationality (ex. American, Colombian, Egyptian, etc.)
- Playwright/author -- Criticism and interpretation (ex: Marlowe, Brecht, Garcia, Churchill, etc.)
- Playwright/author -- Technique
- Playwright/author -- Criticism, textual
- Playwright/author -- Characters -- Women
- Playwright/author -- Stage history
- Drama AND literary movement in literature (ex. naturalism, realism, expressionism, absurd, etc.)
- Drama AND naturalism in literature
- Drama AND absurd in literature